Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mike Huckabee defends Obama

You can read all about it here, or watch the full video below (jump to the 3:30 mark for the relevant stuff).



Here are some snippets of what he had to say: "Obama has handled this about as well as anybody could ... [Obama] made the point, and I think it's a valid one, that you can't hold the candidate responsible for everything that people around him may say or do. You just can't. Whether it's me, whether it's Obama ... anybody else. But he did distance himself from the very vitriolic statements ... "

"As easy as it is for those of us who are white, to look back and say 'That's a terrible statement!' ... I grew up in a very segregated south. And I think that you have to cut some slack -- and I'm gonna be probably the only Conservative in America who's gonna say something like this, but I'm just tellin' you -- we've gotta cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told 'you have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie. You have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant. And you can't sit out there with everyone else. There's a separate waiting room in the doctor's office. Here's where you sit on the bus...' And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment. And you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me."

A very classy move from Huckabee, I think. He cuts through the hit-job nonsense a gives a non-partisan answer. Let's hope others catch on. Obama does not equal Wright.

No comments: