Friday, March 7, 2008

Guitar-driven rock records

In the last week, I've purchased these two albums:

























I'm not sure what sparked it, but I've been enjoying a lot of guitar-driven records lately. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly grooving to Joe Satriani-style banshee-wail solos, but albums like these are beginning to overtake my music collection. Maybe my old love of Pink Floyd -- a love that's been entirely dormant since my junior year of high school -- is returning in a new form. I did bust out The Dark Side of the Moon while making dinner a few weeks ago, but, in my defense, I was fully self-aware of how lame I must have looked.

But yes, these two records are excellent. Keep it Like a Secret makes me feel like I'm in high school again (in a surprisingly good way). I listen to "Time Trap" or "Carry the Zero" and I'm suddenly nostalgic of '90s indie rock, despite having NOT grown up listening to the genre. In 1998, I was spinning Third Eye Blind, not Pavement. But Secret makes me feel like I'm experiencing the formative years of indie rock, when songs meant a lot -- and not just when they were bought.

Marquee Moon is just spectacular. The title track is a mind-blower. The album is somewhere between a punk/classic rock/jam-band record. The tossed-off vocal delivery sounds like the early makings of LCD Soundsystem and other NYC hipster bands, and is complimented by radio-unfriendly guitar solos. It sounds quite unlike anything I've heard before -- which is awesome.

No comments: